The following and all of the other episodes to come are snapshots of what goes on in my head, now and in the past. There are times none of this will make sense. There will be times when I might get lucky and the blog I post will be well constructed and will flow like a mountain stream to an awaiting lake below. Other times it will seem like the ramblings of a madman and you’ll ask yourself, “What the……?”
You should probably get used to the latter.
SPECIAL EDITION: SLICES – BITE SIZE AMBIENT THOUGHTS
The following are bite-size thoughts and feelings on all different subjects. They are important to me but may not require a whole blog post.
At least, maybe not yet…
- Once you realize you will never be as cool as you think you are, you will become that cool.
- People need to ponder more often.
- I think some people only want to be buried to have a tombstone. It’s their way of leaving a mark on the world. But who honestly goes to a graveyard or cemetery that often… unless they work there.
- The term social media is a contradiction in terms.
- Being the best you can be isn’t always good. You can be the best at being evil. Just something to think about.
- Some words are heavier than others. They need to be said more gentle for the word to mean anything. Take the word ‘sorry‘. It must be said with honesty and reverence. It should not be forced out of the mouth like a heavyweight. It should be floated to the other like a feather.
- The whole conversation in films and TV shows where one person says something will be hard to believe and the other says ‘Try Me’ needs to be banned. TRY something else.
- Don’t treat children like babies. And don’t treat pets like children.
- One of my favorites – Fences does not make the best neighbors. Distance does.
- Real friends will find you when you’re lost.
- Creative people should always promote and support each other.
- The more you do one thing, the better you get at it.
- Any talent you have, even if it’s a silly one, makes you more unique.
- We should all take a few moments every day to imagine.
- Because something is important to you, doesn’t mean it’s important.
- We all want people to reach out to us. Make sure you’re somebody worth reaching out to.
- Depression is worrying about the past. Anxiety is worrying about the future. The moment we call the ‘present’ is where we decide to do both.
- When you feel like you’re somebody outside looking in, make sure the glass is clean to see clearly the inside.
- We have a tendency to take things in all at once. Some things require small amounts over time.
- Sitting in the silent dark can be as loud as thunder.
- At times, we must learn to live without completion and…
- There is nothing wrong with doing things by yourself.
- Honesty is a flavor in which we must, at times, use lightly and, at times, heavily. Learn to make the dosage correct.
- When it comes down to it, you have to do it for you.
- Feeling old is fine. Thinking old isn’t.
- An animals brain may be smaller than yours but that doesn’t mean they don’t think and comprehend. Maybe better than some humans.
- The saying ‘Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt‘ is true. Until you get alone inside your car in traffic.
- Do vegans secretly want an animal uprising? Just wondering.
- Odds are, what we do now won’t matter in five years. Probably less.
- Make your life special by living it.
- Believe in something to your roots. But be flexible.
- It’s OK to wish time away as long as you don’t really mean it.
- Smile, even if you have crooked teeth.
- It’s true your body is a temple. It’s OK to put up a poster or two.
- You won the first race you ever were in. (That’s an old one.)
- Keep trying and failing. It’s fine.
- Most kids have a better understanding of how the world works than we do. Listen to them.
- Enjoy the cloudy days as much as the sunny ones.
- You’re never too old to dream.
- If it feels right to you, believe in what you believe.
- You can’t fix everything. Some things still work properly broken.
- Have you ever wondered if there is somebody exactly like you in another dimension? They have, too.
- Those that mock the openness of your heart really wants to have an open heart, too.
- When you stand in your yard on a clear summer night and look straight up into the cosmos above, no one before has seen exactly what you are seeing. Or ever will.
- You must believe in something. But first, start with yourself.
- Be counted.
- Take your own good advice.
- Little things can matter the most.
- There are no such things as ‘little things’. (See what I did there?)
- You can still enjoy stupid movies. Allow yourself to.
- Never stop trying to be happy.
- Search for a job that isn’t a job. Never stop until you find it.
- Never settle.
- Regardless of the pain, see things for what they really are.
- Stop saying ‘so’ and ‘here’s the thing’ so much.
- Find a book you love and make time to read it every year.
- Start your own one-person traditions.
That’s it for now…
-Loyd Elmore Jr.
December 14th, 2018
I’ve decided to keep a blog about how I’m dealing with depression. I’m going to consider this a form of therapy. It might not help anybody else but it might help me.